VHF Marine Radio course joining instructions
The fee includes: The “RYA VHF Handbook”
The fee does not include: RYA Examination Fee and Short Range Certificate (£60)
The venue: Heysham High School – Important - see map & directions to reach the classroom
Arrival: 0930hrs Lunch: 1230hrs Finish: 1900hrs
Please bring the following with you;
1) Pen & paper.
2) Course book
3) Cheque or card for RYA exam fee. We’ll give you an application form on the day.
4) Recent passport photo (NOT POLAROID).
5) Bring your own lunch.
Tea and coffee will be provided throughout the day.
Listed below are some pre-course study tasks, an essential part of the course as you will be tested on these topics during the exam. This should take you about three hours to complete.
- Read chapters 1, 2 and 3 of the RYA VHF Handbook - Answer the questions in Quiz 1
- Read Chapters 4, 5 and 6 - Answer questions in Quiz 2
- Read Chapters 9 and 10 - Answer questions in Quiz 3
- Familiarise yourself with the phonetic alphabet, page 42
- Read about the Distress Call and Message on pages 44 & 45
If you have any problems, give John a call on 07721 891 615
"I'd like to thank Deirdre for putting me at ease during the exam yesterday... She helped allay my unnecessary nervousness." - Ian
"Taught in your usual calm, quiet fashion. It is only on reflection that I appreciate how much I learnt during that one day course." - Stephen
"The ability to practise with a live radio set. John's engaging way of teaching. Informal & interactive nature of course great - John made the subject interesting!"
"Course content & pace were excellent, John explained everything clearly & clarified any queries. An enjoyable day. I feel more confident because of the practical radio use."
"Informal & Friendly. The best bit was passing the final assessment!"
"Mr. John Parlane is the complete professional in ability & knowledge, teaching style second to none!"