Beginners Levels 1 & 2
Level 1 Start Sailing
Level 2 Basic Skills
Welcome to Bay Sea School, the 'go-to' place in the North West, where adult beginners learn to sail on the sea in a small yacht called a keelboat.
"Fantastic location & instruction!"
Discover the basics through a series of 2-day practical courses:
- Level 1 Start Sailing - Ideal for absolute beginners who'd like a gentle introduction to sailing. There's a little bit of theory to explain what's involved and then hands-on practical experience steering the boat and adjusting the sails.
- Level 2 Basic Skills - Build confidence and develop your sailing skills. New topics include: reefing, anchoring, understanding simple weather charts, tidal awareness and 3 more sailing knots.
You'll be amazed how much you pick up on Level 1. After a further 2 days of sailing on Level 2, making 4 days tuition in total, you'll have experienced all the basics of how to be skipper & crew of a small yacht on the sea.
Level 3 Better Sailing is another 2-day course to improve all the new skills introduced on this beginner level course.
Please note: you need to be mobile enough to board the yacht from the inflatable boat & also to move promptly from a seated position on one side of the yacht to the other. Call us if you want to know more about this.
Course dates & booking found at bottom of page
We teach Levels 1 students & Level 2 students at the same time on the boat because the practical exercises are largely the same. But Level 2 theory is quite different to Level 1 theory so we'll need to know which level to provide for you ahead of your practical sessions. If you're wondering how your existing sailing experience compares to what keelboat courses offer, click the links below. Or, just take advantage of all the sailing days available and start with Level 1. Give John a call if you'd like to have a chat about it.
Bay Sea School is run by Deirdre & John. As Principal & Chief Instructor, John is also a Yachtmaster Instructor & Examiner. He's a winner of the RYA 'Instructor of the Year' award too. Other professional work includes inspecting RYA recognised training centres, so your safety on the water is very important at Bay Sea School. Deirdre is also an RYA instructor & Yachtmaster Offshore with 30 years of sailing experience on the sea.
- The Best Way to Learn to Sail explains the differences between the two RYA sailing schemes and what they offer. You'll also find more detail about the topics on Keelboat Levels 1 & 2.
- Beginner to Day Skipper provides a useful pathway through the various RYA courses to gaining your Day Skipper Practical Certificate & ICC (International Certificate of Competence).
Keelboat Course Dates & Booking Information
The fee includes:
- 2-day course (theory and practical tuition)
- RYA Sailing Logbook (G4)
- Bay Sea School's unique online course (a link will be sent within one month of your course date)
- RYA course completion certificate
- Free use of sailing waterproof trousers & jackets (adult sizes small to extra-large) though we recommend using your own if possible
- All the necessary safety equipment including auto inflate life-jacket
Sailing is a weather dependent sport. If a practical session has to be cancelled due to adverse conditions, an alternative date will be agreed. Please read our Terms & Conditions.
Please make a note of your start time for day 1 when booking your course. The second day may start and end up to an hour later due to the tide times.
|2-day Course Start Dates||Start Time - Day 1||Finishes 5 to 6 hrs later||Places left|
|Monday 18th September & 19th||1100||FULL|