Level 1 Start Sailing &
Level 2 Basic Skills
Welcome to Bay Sea School, the 'go-to' place in the North West, where adult beginners learn to sail on the sea in a small yacht (also called a keelboat).
Discover the basics of how to sail on a series of 2-day courses; Levels 1, 2 & 3.
"Fantastic location & instruction!"
Beginners & Improvers
- Level 1 Start Sailing - Ideal for absolute beginners who'd like a gentle introduction to learning to sail. You'll steer the boat, adjust the sails and experience what's involved in sailing on the sea with the security of having your instructor onboard.
- Level 2 Basic Skills - Next step after Level 1 to complete the beginners' course. Suitable for all sailors who've already learnt the theory of tacking and gybing (Level 1 covers this). You'll build confidence in your practical skills and learn more about how to sail back to a man overboard, tidal sailing and cover all points of sail. Some new topics are how to reef the sails, anchoring, understanding weather charts and 3 more useful knots.
You'll be amazed how much you pick up during your first two days on Level 1. After all 4 days of the beginner level course (Level 1 followed by Level 2) you'll experience all the basics of how to skipper & crew a small yacht on the sea.
Please note: you need to be mobile enough to board the yacht from the inflatable boat & also to move promptly from a seated position on one side of the yacht to the other. Call us if you want to know more about this.
Scroll down the page for course dates & booking.
Join our mailing list to be notified when 2023 dates are published.
The basic sailing skills are introduced on Level 1 and developed on Level 2. We teach both levels at the same time on the boat. But Level 1 theory is quite different to Level 2 theory so we'll need to know which level to provide for you ahead of your practical sessions. If you're not sure either follow the link below for more information, have a chat with us, or make the most of the available courses by starting with Level 1.
The Best Way to Learn to Sail explains the differences between the two RYA sailing schemes and what they offer. You'll also find more detail about the topics on Keelboat Levels 1 & 2.
Bay Sea School is run by Deirdre & John. As Principal & Chief Instructor, John is also a Yachtmaster Instructor & Examiner. He's a winner of the RYA 'Instructor of the Year' award too. His professional work includes inspecting other RYA recognised training centres so your safety on the water is very important at Bay Sea School. Deirdre is also an RYA instructor & Yachtmaster Offshore with nearly 30 years of sailing experience on the sea.
Beginner to Day Skipper provides a useful pathway through the various RYA courses to gaining your Day Skipper Practical Certificate & ICC (International Certificate of Competence).
Keelboat Course Dates & Booking Information
2-day keelboat course fee - £310 per person
- RYA Sailing Logbook (G4)
- Bay Sea School's unique online course (a link will be sent within one month of your course date)
- RYA course completion certificate
- Free use of sailing waterproof trousers & jackets (adult sizes small to extra-large) though we recommend using your own if possible
- All the necessary safety equipment including auto inflate life-jacket
If the weather is unsuitable for sailing, alternative dates will be agreed. Please read our Terms & Conditions.
Please make a note of your start time for day 1 when booking your course. Every day is different due to the tide. The second day may start and end up to an hour later.
|Course Dates||Start Time||Finish||Places left|
|2023 - Join our mailing list to be notified of new dates|
"Patient and calm instructors. Different modes of learning. Felt able to ask questions and make mistakes. Great activities and tasks"
"Instructors have great knowledge and can pass this knowledge on in a very pleasant and efficient way"
"Patient explanation and good humour"
"Excellent throughout. Great teaching. Practical tutorship brilliant. (Weather perfect!)"
"Learnt a lot in 2 days!"
" The whole day was terrific. I really enjoyed it"
"The instructors complemented each other and were really knowledgeable"
I most liked...
"the balance of theory & practical and the opportunity for plenty of 'hands-on' practice.
Deirdre's explanation of rules of the road was excellent"
"the personal attention of the instructor, the boat and equipment"
"how the theory backed up the practical & the amount of practical"
"the detail and thoroughness of the instruction"
"gaining a clearer understanding of the basic skillsto improve my overall confidence"
"the feeling of sailing close to the wind and how everyone worked as a team"
"Excellent good all-round course. Deirdre is an excellent teacher"